Global Ranking of Academic Subjects udarbejdes af ShanghaiRanking Consultancy. For at komme med på en engineering-liste skal universiteterne have minimum 200 videnskabelige publikationer indenfor emnet i løbet af de seneste fem år.
Ranglisten er baseret på otte indikatorer:
- The number of papers authored by an institution and indexed in Scopus in each engineering subject.
- The number of world top 25% most cited papers in each engineering subject an institution has.
- The number of world top 1% most cited papers in each engineering subject an institution has.
- How the number of citations received by an institution’s publications compares with the average number of citations received by all other similar publications in each engineering subject in the Scopus database.
- The extent to which an institution’s publications have international co-authorship.
- The percentage of an institution’s publication with academic and corporate or industrial co-authors.
- Most Cited Researchers in each engineering subject.
- The total number of the staff of an institution wining a significant award in an engineering subject.