CURRICULUM VITAE FOR
Erik Mosekilde was born in Århus, Denmark on May 26, 1941. In March 1966 he graduated (summa cum laude) from The Technical University of Denmark as an electrical engineer specialized in solid state physics, and in September 1968 he completed his Ph.D. studies at Physics Laboratory III with a thesis on acoustoelectric effects in piezoelectric semiconductors.
Having completed his military service, Erik Mosekilde was offered a postdoctoral position at Physics Laboratory III and shortly after received a postdoctoral fellowship from IBM, which allowed him to spend 9 months at Thomas J. Watson Research Center, Yorktown Heights, New York.
In July 1972 Erik Mosekilde was appointed associate professor in modern physics, and in August 1977 he defended a dissertation on "Linear and Nonlinear Acoustoelectric Effects in Heavily Doped GaAs Epitaxial Single Crystals" for the Danish Doctor's degree at The University of Copenhagen. In September 2000 he was appointed Professor in "Biological Applications of Nonlinear Dynamics" at The Technical University of Denmark.
Erik Mosekilde has been a member of various educational boards (1977-1982) and for six years (1982-1988) he was a member of Konsistorium, the governing body of The Technical University of Denmark. He has also served and as member of the Policy Council for The System Dynamics Society (1984-1993), as chairman of the Scandinavian Simulation Society (1986-1992), as member of the Academic Advisory Group for the ERASMUS programme (1988-1990), as member of the J.W. Forrester Award Committee (1987-1997), as statistical consultant in medicine (1986-1998), as member of the steering committee for the Center for Chaos and Turbulence Studies, CATS (1992-2002), as chairman for the Center for Modeling, Nonlinear Dynamics and Irreversible Thermodynamics (1992-2006), as member of the steering committee for an EU COST-program on nonlinear dynamics in mechanical processing (1997-2001), as member of the steering committee for the Danish Graduate School in Nonlinear Science (1997-2002), as head of the Department of Physics (1996-2005), and as evaluator for a variety of national and international science foundations.
Erik Mosekilde is presently:
Member of the Danish Academy of Natural Sciences
Coordinator of a European Network of Excellence in Biosimulation
- King Christian X Award (1957-59), for acknowledgable high school performance.
- Tuborg Jubilee Prize (1981), for innovative research in modeling of economic and biological systems.
- J.W. Forrester Award (1986), for work on chaotic phenomena in social and biological systems.
- Statoil Prize (1990), for work on new types of instabilities in physical, technical, economic, and biological systems.
- WE Heraeus Stipend (1992) to work on self-organizing processes and biological structure formation.
- Japanese Government Research Award for Foreign Specialists (1998) to work on transonic flutter in aircraft wings.
- Visiting Professorship at Newcastle Business School and University of Northumbria (1999-2009).
Erik Mosekilde has taught undergraduate and graduate courses in Atomic and Nuclear Physics, Quantum Mechanics, Solid State Physics, Semiconductor Physics, Thermodynamics, Statistical Mechanics, Non-Linear Dynamics, Solid State Electronics, Energy and Resources, System Dynamics, Dynamical Simulation of Complex Systems, and Bifurcation and Chaos Theory. He has served as external examiner in micro- and macroeconomics at Copenhagen Business School (1983-1992) and in mechanical engineering at Sønderborg Engineering School (1988-1992). He has also served as ad hoc external examiner in biochemistry at Odense University and in chemistry at the University of Copenhagen (1991-1997).
Communication with the public:
Over the years, Erik Mosekilde has taught approximately 100 lectures at various universities and foreign institutions, including 15-20 lectures on chaos theory at the Folk University of Denmark.
He has also written 30 more popular articles about applications of dynamic modeling and chaos theory in physics, engineering, biology, and economics.
Erik Mosekilde has been visiting researcher or guest professor at:
IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center, New York (1971)
System Dynamics Group, Norwegian Academy of Technical Sciences, Oslo (1977 and 1978)
Resource Policy Group, Dartmouth College, New Hampshire (1981 and 1982)
Rockefeller College, State University of New York at Albany, New York (1985)
Department for Petroleum-Economics, Chr. Michelsens Institute, Bergen (1986)
Inst. of Control Engineering, Academy of Mining and Metallurgy, Krakow (1986 and 1990)
Institute of Mechanical Engineering, Edvarda Kardelj University, Ljubljana (1989)
Institute of Physical Chemistry, Free University of Brussels (1989, 1990 and 1994)
Sloan School of Management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Boston (1990)
Institute of Theoretical Physics, University of Nice (1991)
Institute of Theoretical Physics, University of Stuttgart (1991)
Department of Medicine, University of Chicago (1991 and 1993)
Institute of Control Engineering, University of Sevilla (1992)
National Aerospace Laboratory, Tokyo (1999)
Editor or member of the editorial board:
Chaos (Advisory Board, 1993-)
International Journal of Bifurcation and Chaos (Editorial Board, 1993-)
Advances in Complex Systems (Editorial Board, 1987-)
Nonlinear Phenomena in Complex Systems (Editorial Board, 1998-)
The System Dynamics Review (Managing Editor, 1984-1994)
Mathematics and Computers in Simulation (Senior Editor, 1996-2008)
M. Hoffmann Jørgensen, P. Lawætz, N.I. Meyer, E. Mosekilde og T. Skettrup: "Introduktion til Atom- og Kernefysik" (Introduction to Atomic and Nuclear Physics). Polyteknisk Forlag, Lyngby 1972 (7th edition 1988).
Niels I. Meyer og Erik Mosekilde: "Produktion og Energi" (Production and Energy). DEMO-rapport nr. 6I, Polyteknisk Forlag, Lyngby 1980.
- Erik Mosekilde: "Dynamisk Simulering af Sociotekniske Systemer" (Dynamic Simulation of Socio-Technical Systems). Polyteknisk Forlag, Lyngby 1985.
- Erik Mosekilde og Rasmus Feldberg: "Ikke-Lineær Dynamik og Kaos" (Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos). Polyteknisk Forlag, Lyngby 1994.
- Erik Mosekilde: "Topics in Nonlinear Dynamics: Applications to Physics, Biology and Economic Systems", World Scientific, Singapore 1996 (382 pages, 2nd edition 1998, paperback version 2003).
- Erik Mosekilde, Yuri Maistrenko, and Dmitry Postnov: "Chaotic Synchronization: Applications to Living Systems", World Scientific Singapore, 2002 (428 pages).
- Zhanybai Zhusubaliyev and Erik Mosekilde: "Bifurcations and Chaos in Piecewise-Smooth Dynamical Systems", World Scientific, Singapore 2003 (363 pages).
Guest Editor of International Journals:
- E. Mosekilde, J. Aracil and P. Allen (Eds.): System Dynamics Review 4, Nos. 1-2. Special issue on Chaos in Economic Systems, System Dynamics Society, MIT, Cambridge MA (1988).
- E. Mosekilde and P.L. Christiansen (Eds.): Mathematics and Computers in Simulation 40, Nos. 3-4. Special issue on Nonlinear Dynamic Phenomena in Physical, Chemical and Biological Systems, Elsevier Science, Amsterdam (1996).
- E. Mosekilde, T. Bohr, J.J. Rasmussen and P.L.Christiansen (Eds.): Physica Scripta T 67. Topical issue on Complex Dynamics in Spatially Extended Systems (1996).
- E. Mosekilde (Ed.): Discrete Dynamics in Nature and Society 5, No. 3. Special issue on Two-Dimensional Maps and Chaotic Synchronization (2000).
- E. Mosekilde, A. Fradkov, and I. Blekhman (Eds.): Mathematics and Computers in Simulation 58, Nos. 4-6. Special issue on Chaos Synchronization and Control, Elsevier Science, Amsterdam (2002).
- O. Sosnovtseva and E. Mosekilde (Eds.): Journal of Biological Physics 32, Nos. 3-4, Special issue on Biosimulation (2006).
- E. Mosekilde and P.A. Tass (Eds.): Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc. (A), Special issue on "Biomedical Applications of Systems Biology and Biological Physics" 366, No. 1880 (2008).
- H. Braun, E. Mosekilde and F. Moss (Eds.), J. Biol. Phys., Special issue on "Complexity in Neurology and Psychiatry" (2008, to appear).
Books and Conference Proceedings Edited:
- Erik Mosekilde and Lis Mosekilde (Eds.): "Complexity, Chaos and Biological Evolution", Proc. NATO Advanced Study Institute on Complex Dynamics and Biological Evolution, Hindsgavl, Denmark, August 6-10, 1990. Plenum Publishing Company, London 1991 (428 pages).
- Erik Mosekilde (Ed.): "Modeling and Simulation", Proc. 1991 European Simulation Multiconference, Copenhagen, Denmark, June 17-19, Simulation Councils Inc., San Diego, California 1991 (968 pages).
- E. Mosekilde (Ed.): "Computer Simulation in Biology, Ecology and Medicine", Proc. 1st Copenhagen Symposium on Computer Simulation in Biology, Ecology and Medicine, Aug. 23-25, 1993. Simulation Councils Inc., San Diego, California 1993 (195 pages).
- P.L. Christiansen and E. Mosekilde (Eds.): "Proc. 3rd IMACS Int. Conf. on Computational Physics: Nonlinear Dynamical Phenomena in Physical, Chemical and Biological Systems". International Association for Mathematics and Computers in Simulation (IMACS), New Jersey, USA 1994 (268 pages).
- Erik Mosekilde and Ole G. Mouritsen (Eds.): "Modelling the Dynamics of Biological Systems", Springer Verlag, Synergetics Series Vol. 65, 1995 (294 pages).
- M. Bertan, E. Mosekilde, and H. Westerhoff (Eds.): "Biosimulation in Drug Development", Wiley-VCH, Berlin, 2007 (240 pages).