31300 Linear Control Design 1
|Taught under open university|
Scope and form:
Lectures, group work (Matlab/Simulink) and exercises.
In connection with the group work/exercises, 2 - 3 reports are going to be derived. These reports will included in the the final evaluation of the course.
Duration of Course:
Date of examination:
Type of assessment:
Not applicable together with:
General course objectives:
To provide the necessary foundations for analysis and design of the majority of simple control systems.
|A student who has met the objectives of the course will be able to:|
- Select physical laws for description of simple dynamic system's properties
- Derive models of simple systems and present them on common mathematical form, including block diagram form
- Classify models with the purpose to chose further treatment methods
- Carry out necessary manipulations on the mathematical models including linearization of nonlinear differential equations
- Derive transfer functions for linear systems
- Determine characteristic parameters for 1st and 2nd order systems
- Apply frequency response analysis on linear system models
- Carry out analysis on open loop and closed loop systems based on transfer functions
- Evaluate correspondence between models' characteristic parameters and their time and frequency responses
- Evaluate and select standard controllers
- Design standard controllers by analytical means and by empirical tuning
- Apply analysis design and simulation software
Fundamental concepts in control systems with feedback. Formulation of models of physical systems. Linearisation. Differential equations Laplace transformation and transfer functions. Root locus and frequency analysis. Stability. Basic design methods. Application of standard controllers and compensators. The theory and methods reviewed are supported by many practical examples.
Textbook: O. Jannerup og P. H. Sørensen: Control Engineering, 3. edition (2004) or 4. edition (2006). Polyteknisk Forlag. (In danish)
Solution to problems
Manuals for group work
The course is a relevant optional course for B.Eng.-students (M and IT).
|, 326, 010, (+45) 4525 3559,
|31 Department of Electrical Engineering|
Registration Sign up:
|control, linear systems, |
December 13, 2012|
See course in DTU Course base