Brief history of Risø

Risø’s history dates back to the mid-1950s when the world-renowned physicist Niels Bohr played a major role in creating the “Research Establishment Risø”—one of the largest single investments ever made in Danish research. The intention was to realize Niels Bohr’s vision of the peaceful use of nuclear energy for electricity production and other purposes.

Risø was inaugurated on 6 June 1958. For the first 30 years, research was focused on providing a secure and stable supply of energy. From the mid-1980s, the agenda changed and nuclear power was no longer included in the Danish energy policy and security of supply was no longer the only objective. Research increasingly focused on finding sustainable supplies of energy, which could ultimately meet global needs and provide opportunities for Danish industry.