Academic Ranking of World Universities is developed by ShanghaiRanking Consultancy. More than 1,200 universities are part of the analysis, while data is published on the web for the top 500 universities.
The ranking is based on the following six indicators:
- Alumni of an institution winning Nobel Prizes and Fields Medals
- Staff of an institution winning Nobel Prizes and Fields Medals
- Highly cited researchers in 21 broad subject categories
- Articles published in Nature and Science
- Articles indexed in Science Citation Index-expanded and Social Science Citation Index
- Per capita academic performance of an institution