Medical care and insurance

Medical care, police and insurance

You are entitled to use the National Danish Health Service once you have received a social security number (a CPR number). 

Once you have received your residence permit you should visit your local municipality in order to register. To this session you should bring your passport, documentation of residence permit and your rental agreement. The International Office can assist you in locating your local municipality. After 3-4 weeks you will receive your National Health Service Card with your social security number. 

When you have finished your studies at DTU—and before you leave Denmark—you must return this medical card to your local National Registry Office.  

Please note that until you have received the National Health Service Card you are not covered by the Danish National Health Service. Non EU/EEA citizens are therefore advised to take out a private health insurance in their home country to provide interim coverage until you have received the National Health Service Card. EU citizens are advised to bring their blue EU/EEA insurance cards with them.


With one of the lowest crime in the world, Denmark is a safe country with an extensive welfare system that offers international students free medical care during their study in Denmark. When you receive your Health Insurance Card, a General Practitioner will be assigned to you. His/her contact details are printed on your National Health Service Card if you need to make an appointment—remember to bring the card along when you go to see the doctor.

Emergency doctor (when your own doctor is closed)

You can call the emergency doctor on phone number 1813. The phone line is open 24-hours.

The doctor might direct you to one of the following addresses:

  • Gentofte Hospital, Niels Andersens Vej 65, 2900  Hellerup
  • Glostrup Hospital, Ndr. Ringvej, 2600  Glostrup
  • Herlev Hospital, Herlev Ringvej 75, 2730  Herlev
  • Hvidovre Hospital, Kettegaard Allé 30, 2650 Hvidovre


If you need to consult a specialist, you have to make an appointment with your General Practioner to get a referral to the specialist.


If you need to see a dentist, you are free to choose any dentist and make an appointment. Be aware that dental treatment is not free of charge in Denmark. You will find a list of dentists in the yellow pages under "tandlæger”.

Nordic citizens
Citizens from Nordic countries are automatically entitled to the same medical services as Danish nationals; they do not need additional health insurance.  



In case of an emergency such as acute health problems, a traffic accident or fire, call 112.

Remember to provide as many details as possible:

  • Where are you? 
  • What has happened?
  • How many are injured and what is their condition? 
  • What telephone number are you calling from?


call 114 to get in touch with the police in a non-life-threatening situation. The lines are open 24-hours a day and the number is valid for the whole country.

Home and liability insurance  

Students staying in DTU residences are not covered by a home insurance. We therefore strongly recommend that you take out a home insurance during your stay at DTU.  

If you are involved in an accident that injures someone or damages their property, you may become liable for large sums payable in costs and damages. If you are not covered for third-person liability, we strongly advise you to take out the appropriate insurance.  

Other insurances

Insurance to cover the costs of repatriation is also strongly recommended. Should you become seriously ill, this insurance will pay for a family member to be flown to Denmark to take you home. Finally, it is wise to insure yourself against theft.