Frist 28. februar 2017
Du kan søge om jobbet ved DTU Miljø ved at udfylde den efterfølgende ansøgningsformular.
The Department of Environmental Engineering at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU) is seeking a postdoc in the area of used water treatment and bioprocess design, development and optimization for resource recovery.
Responsibilities and tasks
The candidate will be involved in a wide range of research and innovation projects, including used water biotechnology and resource recovery from different waste streams.
- Design and development of processes for residual nitrogen recovery towards SCP production
- Operation and characterization of different bacterial and algal systems for used water treatment both in lab and pilot scale
- Design and development of bio-electrochemical systems for resource recovery
- Model development and calibration for used water biotechnologies, including biofilm reactors, autotrophic nitrogen removal, enhanced biological phosphorus removal, algal technologies or sedimentation
- Analysis of microbial communities using simple molecular tools, such as quantitative polymerase chain reaction (qPCR) or quantitative fluorescence in-situ hybridization (qFISH)
The research must be published in ISI journals and the candidate should have a strong background on innovation. The candidate much be able to work independently as well as efficiently coordinate with others in the university and private sector.
The right candidate must have a PhD in environmental engineering with extensive knowledge and experience with water/used water treatment technologies.
The right candidate is expected to:
- Be familiar systems for used water treatment using activated sludge, algae or more specific bacterial catalysts, such as methane or hydrogen oxidizing bacteria.
- Be able to coordinate with several partners, including not only Danish but also European companies, to develop multidisciplinary projects on resource recovery from different waste streams in the context on circular economy, thereby being able to address the research needs from different stakeholders.
- Have a strong background in process modeling, including both biological and physiochemical processes, and expertise on using lab and full scale datasets for model calibration and parameter identification.
- Be able to use models for process and control design and optimization. Knowledge of Matlab, Aquasim and WEST modeling tools is required.
- Have documented experience (ISI publications) in the area of used water treatment, with particular expertise in nitrogen cycle, photobioreactors, microbial modeling, and resource recovery.
- Have strong background in innovation (e.g., patents).
- Ideally, has experience with supervision of master students and support PhD students from different projects
- Have good communication skills and be able to work independently.
Besides having a strong background in used water treatment, research experience must include laboratory competence for running different lab scale reactors, as well as an intricate knowledge of analysis and techniques that can be used to assess the functionality of the biological processes of both biological and physiochemical performance.
We offer an interesting and challenging job in an international environment focusing on education, research, scientific advice and innovation, which contribute to enhancing the economy and improving social welfare. We strive for academic excellence, collegial respect and freedom tempered by responsibility. The Technical University of Denmark (DTU) is a leading technical university in northern Europe and benchmarks with the best universities in the world.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed with the relevant union.
The period of employment is 1 year.
Further information may be obtained from Professor Barth F. Smets, +45 4525 1586.
You can read more about DTU Environment on www.env.dtu.dk
We must have your online application by 28 February 2017
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file
containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online," fill in the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file
. The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
- List of publications
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, disability, race, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
DTU Environment is one of the largest university departments specializing in environmental engineering in Europe. DTU Environment conducts research and development, and provides educational programs and service to society in the area of engineering of water in natural, urban and industrial contexts, processing and recovery of residual resources, environmental risk assessment and chemical risk reduction. The aim is to develop new environmentally friendly and sustainable technologies, and to disseminate this knowledge to society and a new generation of engineers. The Department has approximately 180 staff from more than 30 nationalities.
DTU is a technical university providing internationally leading research, education, innovation and scientific advice. Our staff of 5,800 advance science and technology to create innovative solutions that meet the demands of society; and our 10,600 students are being educated to address the technological challenges of the future. DTU is an independent academic university collaborating globally with business, industry, government, and public agencies.