Photo: Mikal Schlosser

Before study start

Before starting at DTU, there are a number of important things you need to prepare: You must order a student ID card, create a password etc. Here is an overview of what you need to do

Student card, email, and IT

User name and password for DTU's IT systems

To access DTU’s databars and intranet, you need a valid user name and password. After you accept your study place, the MSc admission team will initiate the process for you to get access to DTU Inside. You will receive an email with your username and password, after which, you can access the information on DTU Inside. Please note that your user name for DTU’s IT systems is your student ID number. For more details, please refer to your admission letter.

If you already have a valid user name (student ID number) and password for DTU’s IT systems, you should not change your user name or password, even if you are starting on a new study programme. 

If you lose your password, please contact the Study Information in building 101A to get a new one.

Student ID card

When we have registered that you have accepted a place on the study programme via the digital application system DANS, you can order a student ID card.

You order a student ID card by logging on to DTUbasen, which is DTU’s database of all students and employees. You log on using your student number and your password, which you will receive per email. Once you are logged in, upload a photo of yourself. Afterwards we will make a student ID card for you.  

If you already have a valid student ID card, you do not need to order a new card.

When will I receive my card?

It takes a few weeks before your card is produced, so make sure you order your student card before you arrive. It is a good idea to do it as soon as you receive your student number. 

We will send your student ID card to your address as listed in the national register. Most international students, however, will receive an email when the card is ready, and be asked to collect it in the International Student Services.

Why do I even need one?

The student card is a personal identification card and you should always carry your card with you when you are on DTU's campuses. Not only do you use it to identify yourself as a DTU student, but it also serves as e.g. your library card, allows you to gain access to facilities and databars outside regular opening hours, and to benefit from various student discounts.

Your card comes with a password that permits access to data bars, for example. Your student card and password must not be passed on to anyone else.

View tutorials on how to activate and use your student card (Please note that these tutorials are a few years old, and the name of DTU's intranet has since changed from 'Portalen' to 'DTU Inside'.)

If I lose my card…

Should you lose your student card, please log on to to cancel your original card and request a new one.


When you are admitted to DTU you will be assigned an email account with the University that looks like this:

s[student ID number]—e.g.:

DTU uses this email address to contact you both prior to and during your stay at the University, so please make sure to check your DTU account regularly.

Courses, course registration and credit transfer


DTU has a course database containing all our course descriptions as well as an overview of all classrooms—which allows you to locate the time and place of your courses.

Course registration

You must register for courses using DTU’s Study Planner.

Please follow the instructions in the video to see how to register for courses.

Please note, you cannot register for courses until you have accepted DTU's code of honour.

Curriculum, rules, and regulations

You can find a description of the mandatory and elective courses on your study programme as well as the structure and competence profile in DTU’s programme specifications for MSc programmes.

DTU’s rules and regulations contain the most important rules applicable to all students at DTU.

Credit transfer from previous study programmes

Upon admission to DTU’s MSc programmes, students are obliged to apply for credit transfer for passed programme elements (courses etc.) from all previous non-completed study programmes at the same level. This applies to all previous MSc programmes, also those not related to science or technology.

You can apply for credit transfer via DTU’s credit transfer system. Please consult this guide, if you have any questions on how to proceed.  To access the credit transfer system, you must have a valid user name and password.

The Head of Studies of your study programme assesses whether or not you can be granted credit transfer. If the Head of Studies deems that previously passed courses are compatible with the mandatory courses on your current programme, you will be granted credit transfer. If the Head of Studies deems that previously passed courses are compatible with the elective courses on your current programme, you can decide whether or not you want to transfer your credits.

Your application will be processed as quickly as possible. If you have any questions regarding your application for credit transfer, please contact the Office for Study Programmes and Student Affairs at The decision will be sent to your student email address.

Social security number

Students, who have not previously lived in Denmark, will initially be registered in DTU’s systems with a temporary social security number (CPR number). However, it is important that DTU get your correct CPR number as soon as possible. Among other things, you need a correct CPR number in order to apply for State Educational Grant and Loan Scheme and Ungdomskort (see below).

When you have been assigned a real CPR number we ask that you log on to DTU’s systems and update your CPR number.

State Educational Grant and Loan Scheme (SU)

When you start your Masters’ Education, remember to apply for SU. SU is state funding offered from the Danish Government for further education. Danish students are entitled to SU regardless of social standing, however if you come from an EU/EEA or other country, there are some special conditions you must fulfil in order to receive SU. To learn more about SU and how to apply, click on the relevant links below or use our chatbot SU-bot.


As a student at DTU, you can obtain a public transportation pass known as "Ungdomskort". The Ungdomskort provides a daily public transport discount to and from DTU. It also allows you to travel in Denmark at reduced prices.
See how to apply for an ungdomskort

Special Educational Support 

If you are physically or psychologically impaired—if you have, for instance, dyslexia—you can apply for special educational support (SPS) to complete the programme on equal terms with other students. See whether you are eligible for special educational support

Any questions?

International Student Services, +45 4525 1023, 

Study Guidance Office, +45 4525 1199,

Guidance and counselling