Academic Ranking of World Universities is developed by ShanghaiRanking Consultancy. More than 2,500 universities are part of the analysis, while data is published for the top 1,000 universities.
The ranking is based on the following six indicators:
- Alumni of an institution winning Nobel Prizes and Fields Medals
- Staff of an institution winning Nobel Prizes and Fields Medals
- Highly cited researchers in 21 fields
- Papers published in Nature and Science
- Papers indexed in Science Citation Index-expanded and Social Science Citation Index
- Per capita academic performance of an institution