Best Global Universities is developed by U.S. News, and the bibliometric indicators are based on Web of Science/InCites (Clarivate Analytics).
The ranking uses 13 indicators to measure the universities’ research performance and reputation:
- Global research reputation
- Regional research reputation
- Normalized citation impact
- Total citations
- Number of publications that are among the 10 percent most cited
- Percentage of total publications that are among the 10 percent most cited
- International collaboration - relative to country
- International collaboration
- Number of highly cited papers that are among the top 1 percent most cited in their respective field
- Percentage of total publications that are among the top 1 percent most highly cited papers
The ranking includes 2,005 institutions from 95 countries.