Leave of absence

Paying students are subject to the general rules at DTU regarding leave of absence. However, paying students must submit an application for leave of absence no later than 14 days prior to payment deadline in order to avoid paying tuition fees for that semester. Please see DTU Inside  and Leave of absence for more information.

Tuition fee and refund rules

Tuition fees will not be refunded to students who commence a leave of absence after semester start, but who have not applied for leave of absence prior to payment deadline.

In connection with a leave of absence, it is not possible to obtain a refund of tuition fees for a semester that has already commenced (e.g. if performance at examinations does not live up to expectations) except in case of serious illness and death (self, partner or member of immediate family).

In case of serious illness (self, partner or member of immediate family) it is possible to apply for a refund of the tuition fees for the semester already commenced. The application (including attached documentation) for a refund of tuition fees must be submitted in writing to Office of International Education (mscadmissions@adm.dtu.dk) no later than three weeks into the period of leave.

When/if studies are resumed

When studies are resumed—after a leave of absence or after withdrawal from studies— full tuition fees must be paid for whatever courses you still need to take to complete the programme.

Important information for non-EU/EEA tuition fee paying/waiver students only

If you are a non-EU/EEA fee-paying OR waiver student and have a Danish student residence permit, you should be aware that there is a very strong possibility that your student residence permit will be revoked by SIRI, even if a leave of absence is granted by DTU. According to the law, DTU is obliged to inform SIRI when non-EU/EEA students get a leave of absence from the University. Revocation of the student residence permit by SIRI means that you have to leave Denmark with immediate effect. When you are ready to resume your studies, you will have to apply for a new Danish student residence permit from your home country. For more information on this, please write to mscadmissions@adm.dtu.dk.