Before study start

Before starting at DTU, there are a number of important things you need to prepare: You must order a student ID card, create a password etc.

What you need to prepare before study start:

Username and password for DTU's IT systems

To access DTU’s databars and intranet, you need a valid username and password. After you accept your study place, the MSc admission team will initiate the process for you to get access to DTU Inside.

You will receive an email with your username and password, after which, you can access the information on DTU Inside. Please note that your user name for DTU’s IT systems is your student ID number. For more details, please refer to your admission letter.

If you already have a valid username (student ID number) and password for DTU’s IT systems, you should not change your username or password, even if you are starting on a new study programme.

If you lose your password, please contact the Study Information in building 101A to get a new one.

Student ID card

When we have registered that you have accepted a place on the study programme via the digital application system DANS, you can order a student ID card.

You order a student ID card by logging on to DTUbasen, which is DTU’s database of all students and employees. You log on using your student number and your password, which you will receive per email. Once you are logged in, upload a photo of yourself. Afterwards we will make a student ID card for you.

If you already have a valid student ID card, you do not need to order a new card.

When will I receive my card?

It takes a few weeks before your card is produced, so make sure you order your student card before you arrive. It is a good idea to do it as soon as you receive your student number.

We will send your student ID card to your address as listed in the national register. Most international students, however, will receive an email when the card is ready, and be asked to collect it in the International Student Services.

Why do I even need one?

The student card is a personal identification card and you should always carry your card with you when you are on DTU's campuses. Not only do you use it to identify yourself as a DTU student, but it also serves as e.g. your library card, allows you to gain access to facilities and databars outside regular opening hours, and to benefit from various student discounts.

Your card comes with a password that permits access to data bars, for example. Your student card and password must not be passed on to anyone else.

If I lose my card…

Should you lose your student card, please log on to to cancel your original card and request a new one.


When you are admitted to DTU you will be assigned an email account with the University that looks like this:

s[student ID number]—e.g.:

DTU uses this email address to contact you both prior to and during your stay at the University, so please make sure to check your DTU account regularly.

Courses, rules, and regulations

You can find a description of the mandatory and elective courses on your study programme as well as the structure and competence profile in DTU’s programme specifications for MSc programmes.

DTU’s rules and regulations
 contain the most important rules applicable to all students at DTU.

Course registration

Please note, you cannot register for courses until you have accepted DTU's code of honour. You can read more about DTU’s code of honour on our intranet DTU Inside (login required).

You can find a description the courses offered at DTU in our online course catalogue, where you can search by keyword or by department. When searching in the course catalogue, please pay attention to the fixed DTU schedule for the 13-week periods (February to May and September to December), which is as follows. Each course has a time slot allowing you to know when it is taught and as such allowing you to plan your desired schedule in advance. The time slots consist of the codes below and an E or an F before that. E means Autumn and F means Spring.






8 am - 12 am






12 am - 1 pm






1 pm - 5 pm






5 pm - 6 pm






6 pm - 10 pm


Evening module




You register for courses via DTU’s study planning tool the Study Planner. You need your username and password to log on to the Study Planner. See the Study Guidance video guide on how to use the Study Planner:

How to register for courses.

Credit transfer from previous study programmes

Upon admission to DTU’s MSc programmes, students are obliged to apply for credit transfer for passed programme elements (courses etc.) from all previous non-completed study programmes at the same level. This applies to all previous MSc programmes, also those not related to science or technology.

You can apply for credit transfer via DTU’s credit transfer system. Please consult this guide, if you have any questions on how to proceed. To access the credit transfer system, you must have a valid user name and password.

The Head of Studies of your study programme assesses whether or not you can be granted credit transfer. If the Head of Studies deems that previously passed courses are compatible with the mandatory courses on your current programme, you will be granted credit transfer. If the Head of Studies deems that previously passed courses are compatible with the elective courses on your current programme, you can decide whether or not you want to transfer your credits.

Your application will be processed as quickly as possible. If you have any questions regarding your application for credit transfer, please contact the Office for Study Programmes and Student Affairs at The decision will be sent to your student email address.

Students from DTU

As soon as you have been enrolled in your MSc programme and your data have been transferred to DTU’s study administrative system, you can access your MSc study plan. Here you need to plan your coming courses. You can see the deadlines on DTU Inside. See, if necessary, the Study Guidance Office’s page on study planning If you need help with your study planning (DTU Inside - requires login), you can contact the Study Guidance Office.

Students from other educational institutions

As a DTU student, you need to complete a study plan for the MSc programme in the Study Planner, which is a tool both you and the Study Administration use to see when you are taking which courses. The courses are found in the course database and are entered in the Study Planner.

As soon as you have been enrolled in your MSc programme and your data have been transferred to DTU’s study administrative system, you can access your MSc study plan. You can see deadlines on DTU Inside (DTU Inside - login required), to which you also gain access on enrolment. See, if necessary, the Study Guidance Office's page on study planning (DTU Inside - requires login). If you need help with your study planning, you can contact the Study Guidance Office.

Please note that special conditions apply if you are an elite athlete. See the item below.

If you are an athlete or coach studying at DTU, we would like to give you the opportunity to organize your study programme so that you can combine your elite sport and your studies optimally.

It requires structure and overview to combine many hours of training, competitions, training camps, classes, and studies, but it also requires a flexible study programme framework and some people who can help you in the process with good advice and guidance for how to plan your course of study and sport activities.

At DTU, you can always get help and guidance from our Study Guidance Office.

Book a meeting

Elite athletes can book a meeting with one of our contact persons for elite athletes in the Study Guidance Office:

You can also get help from Team Denmark if you already are a Team Denmark-approved athlete.

Students, who have not previously lived in Denmark, will initially be registered in DTU’s systems with a temporary social security number (CPR number). However, it is important that DTU get your correct CPR number as soon as possible. Among other things, you need a correct CPR number in order to apply for State Educational Grant and Loan Scheme and Ungdomskort (see below).

When you have been assigned a real CPR number we ask that you log on to DTU’s systems and update your CPR number.

When you start your Masters’ Education, remember to apply for SU. SU is state funding offered from the Danish Government for further education.

Danish students are entitled to SU regardless of social standing, however if you come from an EU/EEA or other country, there are some special conditions you must fulfil in order to receive SU.

Learn more about SU and how to apply:

For Danish students:

If you start on your MSc programme in September, you can receive SU during the holiday that falls between completing your BSc/BEng programme and commencing your MSc programme, provided that there are no more than two months between the two study programmes.

Read more about SU for step-divided courses (information only in Danish).

As a student at DTU, you can obtain a public transportation pass known as "Ungdomskort". The Ungdomskort provides a daily public transport discount to and from DTU. It also allows you to travel in Denmark at reduced prices.

See how to apply for an ungdomskort

When studying at DTU, you have the opportunity to apply for special educational support (SPS) if you have a permanent functional impairment. The support is intended to compensate you for your impairment, so you can study on an equal footing with your fellow students.

Contact the SPS unit at DTU; you can register in DTU’s SPS enquiry portal or contact us. Find contact details on

Students from DTU

When you go from your BSc/BEng programme to your MSc programme, you must have your technical aids provided by SPS transferred. Contact the SPS Unit about this.

Students from other educational institutions

If you already receive special educational support on your qualifying programme, you must have your technical aids transferred. Contact the SPS Unit at DTU about this.

FAQ about SPS:

  • Is DTU automatically notified of my support needs?
    No. Even though you have received special educational support (SPS) in the past, and even though you may still have support equipment on loan, DTU is NOT automatically informed that you need special educational support for your MSc programme. Therefore, remember to contact us if you need support.
  • Does the fact that I receive SPS affect my admission to DTU?
    No. You will not be treated any differently as a result of your need for special educational support regarding the possibility of being enrolled in a study programme at DTU neither positively nor negatively.
  • Who receives my data at DTU?
    If you submit any questions or upload documentation to the MSc Admissions Office (Kandidatoptagelsen) or to the SPS unit at DTU, your details will remain with these two units. We are bound by a duty of confidentiality and do not disclose information to others. Moreover, if you have received special educational support during your studies, it will not be stated on your exam certificate.
  • When should I apply for the support?
    Applying for special educational support is a lengthy process. Therefore, it is very important that you contact us as soon as possible. From the day you can see your Study Planner for your MSc programme at, we can apply for SPS for you.
  • What about special exam conditions, for example extra time?
    You need to make DTU aware that you require special exam conditions. You can, for example, mention this in your application for special educational support.
    See more about special exam conditions and application deadlines on DTU Inside (login required).