Health and safety

With one of the world's lowest crime rates, Denmark is a very safe choice for international students. The Danish welfare system allows international students to receive free medical care during their study in Denmark. 

CPR number and health insurance

If you are staying in Denmark for more than three months you can get a social security number (a CPR number) which entitles you to use the National Danish Health Service and receive free medical treatment ind clinics and hospitals.  

Once you have received your residence permit you should visit the citizen service office in your local municipality in Denmark in order to register. Please remember to bring your passport, documentation of residence permit, and your rental agreement. The International Office can assist you in locating your local municipality. After 3-4 weeks you will receive your yellow health insurance card with your social security number. 

When you have finished your studies at DTU—and before you leave Denmark—you must return this medical card to your local citizen service centre.   

Please note that until you have received the health insurance card you are not covered by the Danish National Health Service. Non EU/EEA citizens are therefore advised to take out a private health insurance in their home country to provide interim coverage until you have received the health insurance card. EU citizens are advised to bring their blue EU/EEA insurance cards with them.

Doctor (GP)

The Danish welfare systems allows international students to receive free medical care during their study in Denmark. When you receive your health insurance card, a GP (General Practitioner) will be assigned to you. His/her contact details are printed on your health insurance card if you need to make an appointment—remember to bring the card along when you go to see the doctor.

Emergency doctor (when your own doctor is closed)

You can call the emergency doctor on phone number 1813. The phone line is open 24-hours. 


If you need to consult a specialist, you have to make an appointment with your GP to get a referral to the specialist.


If you need to see a dentist, you are free to choose any dentist and make an appointment. Be aware that dental treatment is not free of charge in Denmark. You will find a list of dentists in the yellow pages under "tandlæger”.

The yellow pages

Nordic citizens
Citizens from Nordic countries are automatically entitled to the same medical services as Danish nationals; they do not need additional health insurance.  


With one of the world's lowest crime rates, Denmark is a very safe choice for international students.

The Danish way of life is based on mutual trust and tolerance. Naturally you shouldn't leave your valuables unattended—and the odd bike gets stolen on our campuses—but you will be perfectly safe as you go about your business without a trained security officer by your side.


In case of an emergency such as acute health problems, a traffic accident or fire, call 112.

Remember to provide as many details as possible:

  • Where are you? 
  • What has happened?
  • How many are injured and what is their condition? 
  • What telephone number are you calling from?


call 114 to get in touch with the police in a non-life-threatening situation. The lines are open 24-hours a day and the number is valid for the whole country.

Home and liability insurance

With one of the lowest crime in the world, Denmark is a safe country. However we would urge you to take out personal home and accident insurance. If you are involved in an accident that injures someone or damages their property, you may become liable for large sums payable in costs and damages.

If you are not covered for third-person liability, we strongly advise you to take out the appropriate insurance.

Furthermore, insurance to cover the costs of repatriation is also strongly recommended. Should you become seriously ill, this insurance will pay for a family member to be flown to Denmark to take you home.