Hvad går øvelsen ud på?
Through this exercise, a student would learn the handling of optical fibers. As special steps are required to handle an optical fiber such as cleaning, cleaving, splicing, etc.
The next objective of the exercise is to understand the important characteristics of an optical fiber such as NA (numerical aperture), attenuation loss, splicing loss, bending loss, etc.
Students would get introduced to the Laser source, photodetectors, and optical spectrum analyzer (OSA) during the exercise.
They would also learn about Laser safety and would perform basic transmission experiments.
This exercise would provide a fascinating glimpse of an optical communication field.
Hvordan foregår øvelsen?
Day 1: Students are introduced to the optical fibers. They will do the cleaning, cleaving, and splicing of the given optical fiber. They will measure the various losses associated with the optical fiber. Next, they will follow the characterization of laser source using OSA (such as Laser spectra).
Day 2: Perform basic transmission experiment.
Hvilke faciliteter kommer du til at bruge?
- Students would be shown around DTU Electro department and other places of DTU Lyngby campus.
- Students would get the opportunity to work in research Laboratory of DTU Electro department.
09:00 to 11:30 Handling of fiber
11:30 to 12:30 Lunch break
12:30 to 13:30 Characterization of Laser (Seeing the wavelength of laser light on OSA)
13:30 to 17:00 Measurement of losses (attenuation & bending loss)
09:00 to 11:30 DTU Lyngby campus visit
11:30 to 12:30 Lunch
12:30 to 17:00 Performing basic transmission experiment
- Raw data produced by the OSA (columns of data that could be used to plot graphs).
- Data related to transmission experiment.
- Fysik: Transmitting light through optical fibers by utilizing physics principle of TIR (total internal reflection) would be a nice practical experience of the theory. Also, you will get to work on an amazing application of the light, that is working of internet. An opportunity to send data (voice or image) through a simple optical communication channel by playing with light. Through this exercise, you will really see the physics in action.
Kan kombineres med:
- Optical fibers
- Optical spectrum analyzer
- Optical Communication