According to the Danish Ministry of Higher Education and Science (Order no. 35 of 13 January 2022, paragraph 36), all applicants who apply for admission to English taught MSc programmes are required to provide documentation of English language proficiency comparable with English B-level from a Danish upper-secondary school.
All language tests are verified online. If DTU experiences any problems verifying your language test we will contact you for further information.
Please note that DTU does not receive physical or digital tests from the test providers. You must upload a digital copy to the DTU application portal. Therefore, please ensure that you request a paper copy of the result at the time of registration for the language test, which should then be scanned and uploaded to the application portal.
If you are applying for a Nordic Five Tech programme, please note that special language requirements apply. For further information, please follow this link.(scroll down)
These requirements apply to applicants with an upper-secondary school diploma from outside Denmark.
1. IELTS (ACADEMIC), TOEFL, Cambridge Advanced English/Cambridge Proficiency.
Note that IELTS and TOEFL tests are valid for two years.
|IELTS computer- or paper-based||6.5*|
|TOEFL iBT internet-based, Special Home Edition (SHE), or Paper Edition||88**|
|C1 Advanced / Cambridge Advanced English (CAE)||180|
|Danish High School - English level B||Passed|
* Both the IELTS computer-based and the paper-based tests are accepted as long as they are marked "ACADEMIC".
**Due to the Corona Virus, TOEFL has created a Special Home Edition of their English language test. Please follow the link to learn more about the Special Home Edition, how to sign up etc.
DTU does not accept 'My Best Scores'.
DTU will not make any exceptions to these test scores. If conditionally admitted students cannot meet these test scores, DTU will not be able to enrol them.
2. By documentation of a completed undergraduate degree of minimum 3 years or a completed graduate degree of minimum 2 years from one of the following countries: Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom, and USA. Please note that applicants with a degree from any other country must submit a language test (special exemptions apply for Nordic Citizens - please see below).
3. By documentation from a Nordic upper secondary school/ high school that the English at your high school level is comparable(please refer to the Skema til omregning af fagniveauer for nordiske eksaminer) with the English B - level in Denmark. You must upload your upper secondary/high school academic transcript.
4. Applicants with an IB exam can find a subject conversion table here.