Other support options

In addition to SPS, there may also be other offers and options of relevance to you.

We have gathered a small overview here: 

Exemption and special exam arrangements

At DTU, you can apply for special conditions for your exams and different exemptions.

These decisions are a DTU matter and are unrelated to your SPS support grant..

Please note that DTU’s study programme deadlines are not the same as the State Educational Grant and Loan Scheme’s study activity rules. If DTU grants you an exemption to take fewer ECTS credits per semester, it may mean that you do not meet the activity requirement to continue receiving SU. Therefore, it may be a good idea to also plan your financial situation when planning your studies.

You can read about exemptions on DTU Inside (requires log-in):

You can read about special exam conditions on DTU Inside (requires log-in)

Adaptations in teaching

If you require adaptations in teaching, you should contact your lecturer. That might be relevant, for example, if you wish to receive PowerPoints as early as possible. It could also be that you need to always sit in a specific place in the classroom; in that case, you can arrange this with your lecturer (and your fellow students).

If you find it very difficult to contact your lecturer, please write us. We can help convey your challenges and support needs to the lecturer. However, you must always inform us yourself, at the beginning of each new semester, which course(s) it is relevant for. However, we encourage you to contact the lecturer yourself if you can.

It is not always possible to make adaptations: In some courses, for example, group work, physical presence, or laboratory work may be part of or crucial to meeting the learning objectives, which can make certain adaptations difficult. Therefore, for elective courses, it may be a good idea to check the course description and discuss the possibility of adaptations with the lecturer before choosing a particular course.

For students with hearing impairment
Extra furniture: If you use a sign language interpreter and you, therefore, need extra chairs and/or tables in the classroom, please get in touch with the Special Educational Support Office, and we will help you contact Campus Service.

Establishment of technical equipment: This is handled by the company Tonax (the supplier), sometimes in cooperation with Campus Service and/or with the involvement of your lecturer and fellow students.


It is of paramount importance that all students can get around on campus. At DTU, it is ensured that new buildings comply with all the requirements for physical accessibility for people with disabilities. Additionally, we ensure accessibility in existing physical spaces - including optimizing their layout, maintenance, and utilization.

If you have a physical disability that places special demands on accessibility where you move, you can contact the Special Educational Support Office, and together with you and Campus Service, we will find the best possible solution.

You can find an accessibility map for Lyngby Campus here.

However, it should be noted that there may be very few buildings at DTU where the academic activities are of such a nature that accessibility for people with certain physical disabilities is limited due to safety considerations. If you are unsure about your options, you can contact the Special Educational Support Office.

Supplementary grant for physically or mentally disabled

If you suffer from a functional impairment, you can apply for a disability supplement in addition to your State Educational Grant (SU), Supplementary grant for physically or mentally disabled

To be granted a disability supplement, your impairment must be so severe that you are prevented from having a student job alongside your study programme.

A disability supplement is granted based on an individual assessment and is not linked to SPS. That means that even if you have been granted SPS, you are not automatically entitled to a disability supplement.

NB! You can only receive a disability supplement if you concurrently receive SU. If you lose your SU due to non-compliance with the study activity requirements, your disability supplement will also cease.

As mentioned under the section ‘Exemption and special arrangements’, DTU’s deadlines and the SU study activity rules are not the same. If DTU grants you an exemption to take fewer ECTS credits per semester, this may mean that you do not meet the study activity requirement for continuing to receive SU (and disability supplement). Therefore, it may be a good idea also to plan your financial situation when planning your studies.

You can read more about disability supplements on su.dk (note the information is only available in Danish)

Other guidance options offered at DTU

As a student at DTU, there will be times when it will be relevant and/or necessary to contact one or more of our various guidance services.

Our most widely used guidance options are:

  • The Study Guidance Office
    Here you can have a consultation and receive guidance about many things related to your studies. For example, choice of study programme, study planning, credit transfer application, exemption and leave of absence, guidance about DTU’s rules, and guidance about options and challenges, including study doubts and change of study programme. The Study Guidance also holds many workshops, for example, on stress, perfectionism, and group work. You can read more about these offerings in their event calendar.
  • The SU Office at DTU
    The SU staff provide guidance on the SU rules, including information about disability supplement.
  • The Study Administration (requires log-in)
    Here you can get help with your student card, registration for courses and exams, transcripts of grades, password to DTU’s IT systems, and deadlines for your study programme.  
  • The Career Centre (requires log-in)
    Here you can get advice and guidance about internship, CV feedback and job applications. In addition, the Career Centre holds various events. 

You may also use the following:

  • The student chaplain (requires log-in) 
    You can talk with the student chaplain if you are experiencing a life crisis, grief, etc.
  • DTU’s clubs
    Sometimes, it can help alleviate a sense of loneliness to become part of a community that cultivates a particular interest. 
  • The Student Counselling Service (SRG)
    Through SRG, you can participate in various events and workshops and get tips on student life.
  • Offensive behaviour
    If you experience offensive behaviour, discrimination or bullying, there are several places you can turn to for help. DTU encourages you to act if you experience offensive behaviour—it is important that you talk to someone about the incident. You can read more on DTU Inside (requires log-in).